It is no coincidence that Badrutt's Palace Hotel has a five star deluxe rating. Standards are much higher in the elegant resort of St. Moritz, where luxury and lifestyle are taken for granted, just as much as its untouched nature. Distinguished guests from around the world consider this their second home due to the exclusive hospitality offered by this imposing and beautifully cared for symbol of St. Moritz since 1896. Personalities from the world of politics and business, royalty, prominent figures from the arts and music spend time together every year in Badrutt’s Palace Hotel.
The 115 years of hospitality in the centre of the Engadin Alps, began with Johannes Badrutt. After purchasing the former Hotel Beau Rivage in 1892, his son Caspar contracted the renowned architects, Chiodera & Tschudi to convert it to the Palace Hotel. To begin with it was a recreational destination only during the summer months, but this once so peaceful St. Moritz developed into an elegant centre for Alpine winter sports, after Johannes Badrutt made a bet with English summer guests.
Since then, the development of the Palace Hotel has been part of the Badrutt family. After the opening celebration in 1896, many of the family members have worked constantly to sustain the hotel economically, as well as to preserve and extend this splendid mountain hotel in Engadin. The historical house, Chesa Veglia, was purchased and converted in 1935, in order to offer guests of Badrutt’s Palace Hotel culinary delights outside the hotel’s restaurants.
With the death of Hans Badrutt in 1953, who had taken on the directorship from his father, Caspar Badrutt after his death in 1904, the directorship was passed on to his wife Helen and her son Andrea Badrutt, who later, together with his brother, Hansjürg Badrutt, took things under their wings. It was never a question of waiting for things to happen or resting on their laurels in Badrutt’s Palace Hotel. The hotel’s services and facilities have been continuously adjusted to suit the times and in doing so, it belongs to one of the most luxurious hotels in Switzerland. The historical tower and symbol of St. Moritz was rebuilt and extravagantly refurbished after a fire in 1967.
After the extension of the Suot-Mulin-Complex between 1981 and 1984, which housed new suites and privately owned apartments, the management of Badrutt’s Palace Hotel was transferred to the luxury hotel chain of Rosewood Hotels and Resorts. During this period many renovations, extensions and technical installations were made that added to the substance and development of Badrutt’s Palace Hotel. Then followed the building of the «Kids’ Club Palazzino», the opening of the shopping mile «Palace Galerie», and the opening of the Helen Badrutt and Hans Badrutt Suites which are an homage to both family members and are extraordinary in their luxury and exclusivity.
In 2004, the distinguished hotelier, Hans Wiedemann took over as Managing Director of this family-managed luxury hotel and with this began a complete and comprehensive restructuring of all the hotel areas including the infrastructure, service and facilities. In order to preserve the historic interior and the unmistakable charm of Badrutt’s Palace Hotel for another 100 years, the many and thorough renovations were completed in 3 stages. Badrutt’s Palace Hotel has become a symbol of responsible business and sustainability in the name of its guests and the environment.
Along with the preservation of the historical substance, the other main issue of Hans Wiedemann lies with the careful, but effective renewal of the infrastructure. The heat pump is an innovative source of energy fed from Lake St. Moritz, which during the 2006/2007 winter season, covered 80% of total energy requirements. «Palace Wellness», the façade and the refurbishing of the rooms have cost over 70 million Swiss Francs to adjust to the conditions of the times, but without destroying the history of the house. Badrutt’s Palace Hotel guests will in future, enjoy the most up to date comforts in a sensational setting.