He left his family to start out on his own: Johannes Badrutt was as courageous as a ski jumper. Without him St. Moritz would not be the same as it is today: a popular and glamorous winter sport destination. World-famous for its legendary Grand Hotel. Thanks to Johannes´ bet that brought the English to the Engadin.
Tradition and quality endure. So it says daily in the ads. If the sales arguments are still the same almost 90 years later, it seems like tradition, quality and innovation were actually proven - and the glamour-factor is still there.
Johannes Badrutt takes over the 12 bed Pension Faller in St. Moritz and upgrades it into a hotel with the name Engadiner Kulm (today's Kulm Hotel).
Caspar Badrutt (1848-1904), son of Johannes Badrutt, purchases the St. Moritz Hotel Beau Rivage, built in 1872 by C. Rungger. He charges the renowned Swiss architects Chiodera and Tschudi with the remodelling of the hotel. The hotel is also renamed Palace Hotel. Johannes Badrutt wins a wager and brings the first English tourists to St. Moritz for winter sports. He builds curling rinks and the world's first toboggan run and, in doing so, invents alpine winter tourism.
Official opening of the Palace Hotel on July 29th. Caspar's son Hans Badrutt (1876-1953) joins the management in 1898. His father dies in 1904.
The dining room, today Le Restaurant, and the first indoor tennis courts on the European continent are built (no longer in use).
The historical Chesa Veglia is bought and converted into a rustic-style restaurant.
Following the death of Hans Badrutt, his wife Helen runs the hotel with her stepson Andrea. Helen dies in 1960 and her sons Andrea Badrutt (1910-1998) and Hansjürg Badrutt (born in 1930) continue to run the Palace Hotel together.
The Palace Tower, the legendary symbol of the hotel is destroyed by fire.
The Acapulco complex is built with its swimming pool, fitness centre and restaurant.
The Suot Mulin complex with apartments and suites is built.
Hansjürg and Anikó Badrutt appoint Rosewood Hotels & Resorts of Texas, to manage the hotel and to commence renovation work with the aim of maintaining and accentuating the history and ambiance of this legendary property. Since April 2003, the Badrutt’s Palace Hotel has once again been successfully managed as an independent, family owned hotel.
The first renovation phase gets under way, 70 rooms are refurbished and modernised. Opening of the Health Club and ›Daniela Steiner Beauty Spa‹ featuring 10 light-filled treatment rooms, plus the opening of Emilio Pucci and Loro Piana boutiques.
Renovation of a further 60 rooms, all provided with the Nortel multifunctional telephone system and other state-of-the-art technology, such as an infrared keyboard for easy operation of the entertainment equipment. Redesign of the reception and construction of the Kids’ Club Palazzino covering 250 m2. Opening of the Chopard and De Grisogono Boutiques in the hotel.
Opening of the Palace Gift Shop with its own comprehensive merchandising collection. Opening of the luxurious Serletta
designer shopping complex (2,000 m2) facing the main entrance to Badrutt’s Palace Hotel. Today it is renamed Palace Galerie.
Opening of two new luxurious suites: The spectacular Hans Badrutt Suite on the second floor with a surface area of 280 m2; spacious marble lobby, three generous bedrooms – all with luxury Italian marble bathrooms, luxurious, comfortably appointed salon with a piano, wood-lined Engadin library, kitchenette, Jacuzzi, steam bath, state-of-the-art technical appliances and security precautions. The unique and exclusive Helen Badrutt Suite with a surface area of 250 m2 spacious entrance area in marble, three luxuriously appointed bedrooms with Italian marble bathrooms, an exclusively furnished salon, lobby, kitchenette and state-of-the-art technical appliances.
Renovation and enlargement of the in-house Ski Shop with state-of-the-art ski equipment rentals.
Swiss hotelier, Hans Wiedemann, becomes Managing Director of Badrutt’s Palace Hotel.
Both the north and south facades are renovated in two stages. New balconies are installed, offering a stunning new view of the lake and mountains from the south-facing rooms, and new windows are installed throughout the hotel. New exterior lighting concept introduced. All rooms and suites are fitted with plasma screen TVs.
On 29th July Badrutt’s Palace Hotel proudly celebrates its 110th anniversary.
From the winter season 2006/07 onwards Badrutt’s Palace Hotel heats the premises with an innovative eco-friendly heat pump system using water from Lake St. Moritz.
The Beau Rivage wing is renovated with new rooms and suites.
Completion of Business Centre at the Beau Rivage wing and of the new conference rooms Roni Pieper I and II.
Start of the three step renovation of the entire wellness area. From that point on Badrutt’s Palace Hotel is responsible for the entire Palace Wellness. Total investment of 70 million Swiss Francs.
Renovation Palace Wellness Phase 1:
-Pool area and lift extension project with new grotto reception area.
Renovation Palace Wellness Phase 2:
- Treatment Centre with 10 treatment rooms
- Palace Spa/Wet Zone with various saunas and steam baths
Renovation Palace Wellness Phase 3:
- Renovation of Kids’ Club Palazzino
- Fitness Centre
- Restaurant La Diala
On 29th July Badrutt’s Palace Hotel proudly celebrated its 115th anniversary.
Renovation of the 6th and 8th floor. All rooms are updated and provided with state-of-the-art technology, such as a LED TV, multimedia hub and PlayStation 3.
Renovation of the 5th floor. All rooms are updated and provided with state-of-the-art technology.
A new restaurant is being constructed within the former indoor tennis ground (Phase I).
On 18th December, Resident Manager Angelo Martinelli celebrates his 50th anniversary at Badrutt’s Palace Hotel.
On 1st April, Managing Director & Delegate of the Board Hans Wiedemann celebrates his 10th anniversary at Badrutt’s Palace Hotel.
On 1st June, General Manager Yves Gardiol celebrates his 10th anniversary at Badrutt’s Palace Hotel.
In winter season 2014/15 St. Moritz, the Engadin and Switzerland celebrate 150 years of winter tourism, based on the legendary wager of Johannes Badrutt with the English in 1864.
Construction work (Phase II) of the new restaurant La Coupole/ Matsuhisa@Badrutt’s Palace and its opening on 19th December 2014.
Renovation of the 7th floor. All rooms are updated and provided with state-of-the-art technology.
On 29th July 2016, Badrutt’s Palace Hotel celebrated its 120th anniversary. With regards to this special jubilee the traditional hotel presented unique events and highlights to their guests, friends, business partners and the local community.